429 Parkdale Avenue
Ph: (613) 728-8055
Mission and Philosophy
Queensway Preschool offers an educational program based on the belief that children learn through play. Given a balance of free play and teacher directed activities, the toddler and preschool children grow and develop socially, physically, emotionally and intellectually.
It is the philosophy of Queensway Preschool to recognize that each child is unique; therefore, our program must focus on the individual needs and abilities of each child. We do this knowing that early childhood should be a time of fun, warmth, security, exploration and discovery. The Preschool is committed to working toward achieving the following goals:
- To provide experiences at the child’s level to promote the child’s self worth and to give the child a better understanding of the world around him/her.
- To provide an atmosphere that offers a safe place and encourages social- emotional, physical, and intellectual growth of the child as a whole.
- To promote feelings of trust, confidence and a sense of friendship.
- To encourage a child’s natural curiosity and drive for exploration and discovery.
- To enhance a child’s individuality and sense of humour.
- To develop a child’s independence through the gaining of various intellectual, cognitive, social and physical skills.
- To promote the development of an internal sense of control and respect for self, others and property.
- School Readiness!
Eighteen months to 5 years old.
All teachers are experienced, Registered Early Childhood Educators and Headstart Program Workers. Staff are involved in professional development and specialized training regularly, including First Aid and CPR. Many have additional education and experience.
Queensway Preschool is situated within the Parkdale United Church, at the corner of Gladstone Avenue and Parkdale Avenue in Ottawa.
Transportation is provided for children who live within designated boundaries: our geographical area is defined by the east side of Island Park Drive to the north side of Carling Avenue to the west side of Bronson Avenue to the north side of Catherine Street to the west side of Bay Street to the north side of Gloucester Street to the west side of Lyon Street to the Ottawa River. See map below for more details.
Days and Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday from 8:15 am -4:45 pm
Statutory holidays, Christmas and March breaks, and for one week preceding the August Civic Holiday.
Maximum Number of Children
Staff to Child Ratio
Services for Children
- Stories, songs and games to encourage speech and language development
- Art, sensory activities, music and dramatic play to encourage social development and creativity
- Indoor and outdoor play on climbing equipment, tricycles and ride on toys etc. to help children gain confidence, coordination and strength. Queensway preschool has a lovely outdoor playground.
- Field trips encourage friendships and expand children’s knowledge of the world and how it works
- Science and nature activities encourage children to question, wonder and explore the world of nature
- Positive child guidance from teachers that allows children to develop self-confidence and self-control
- Social skills are learned with guidance and through experiences with imaginative play
- Speech/Language Pathologist visits regularly from CHEO
- Hearty and nutritious snacks and lunch served daily
Services for Parents
Parents are encouraged to participate in family events and field trips offered through Queensway Preschool. In addition, families are encouraged to participate in the parenting programs, health, community and social services of Somerset West Community Health Centre.
The Preschool has an open door policy for parents/guardians. Parent/guardians are welcome to drop in to watch or join in the program. There is also a Parents’ group held monthly by our Early Childhood Development Worker, this is a good time to meet other parents, share ideas and have discussions with a variety of interesting guests.
Queensway Preschool is managed and operated by:
Somerset West Community Health Centre
55 Eccles Street
(613) 238-7595 (fax)