2244 Russell Road
Ph and Fax: (613) 731-1507
Program Coordinator: Chantal St. Louis-Malboeuf
Executive Director: Beverly Renaud; email: email@example.com
Mission and Philosophy
The purpose of Hawthorne Meadows Nursery School is to provide a full-day Nursery School program, which will benefit the child, the parent, and the community. The school’s philosophy is to enable children to participate in a program designed to meet each child’s individual needs as well as their social, physical, emotional and cognitive development. The staff encourages and promotes language development throughout the program.
2.5 to 5 years of age
The program is staffed by a team of 3 Registered Early Childhood Educators and a cook, who provides support in the room with the children. Staff continuously take advantage of opportunities to upgrade and broaden their skills through attendance at workshops, seminars, conferences, and courses related to their field.
Hawthorne Meadows Nursery School is located on the first floor in the church hall of Hawthorne United Church. The Nursery School is well-equipped and versatile. The playroom is set up with learning centres including an art area, cognitive and table top toy area, gross motor area, science and unit block area and dramatic play area.
Transportation is provided by the Roxborough bus company for our bus run in the morning and afternoon and is available to clients living within a specific catchment area.
Days and Hours of Operation
- Monday – Friday 8 am – 4 pm (Children attend 9 am – 2:45 pm)
Statutory Holidays, Christmas, March break, three weeks in summer (August)
Maximum Number of Children
Staff to Child Ratio
Services for Children
Hawthorne Meadows Nursery School provides a program for pre-school children designed to promote development in all areas including: language acquisition, problem solving skills, school readiness, self-regulation, socialization, healthy physical and cognitive development and greater self-esteem.
The program offers children first hand experiences and opportunities which promote active learning. A dedicated staff create a nurturing, learning environment which fosters confidence, self-expression and creativity. Activities for children include:
- Library, puzzles and building toys. Includes opportunities to develop language, literacy, cognitive and manipulative skill
- Dramatic play.
- Art. Includes language, sensory and creative opportunities
- Science. Includes opportunities to question, wonder and explore.
- Field trips. Frequent field trips give children first hand experiences in their community, expanding their knowledge and understanding of the world around them.
- Language Development Program — Speech/Language Pathologist consultation, assessment and referral.
- Nutritious and hearty meals. Two balanced meals and snack are offered: breakfast, hot lunch and a healthy snack before departure. All dietary restrictions/allergies are adhered to.
- Positive Behaviour Guidance. Includes opportunities for children to develop self-regulation and control, self-esteem and problem solving through guided interactions with staff and other children.
Services for Parents
Hawthorne Meadows Nursery School has an open door policy for parents. Parents are invited to participate in the program, special events and field trips. Parents are encouraged to participate in the running of the program through involvement with the Board of Directors. Six positions on the Board are reserved for parents including the positions of President and Vice-President. Parents are able to access on going progress and daily activities of their child through StoryPark.
Hawthorne Meadows Nursery School is managed and operated by:
Hawthorne Meadows Nursery School, Inc.
Executive Director: Beverly Renaud
2330 Don Reid Drive, Suite 102
Ph: (613) 731-2440
Fax: (613) 521-8356