Ph: (613) 235-7561
Fax: (613) 288-2436
Contact: Cori Thompson
Mission and Philosophy
Nanny Goat Hill Nursery School offers an educational program based on the belief that children learn through play. Given a balance of free play and teacher directed activities, the toddler and preschool children grow and develop socially, physically, emotionally and intellectually.
It is the philosophy of Nanny Goat Hill Nursery School to recognize that each child is unique; therefore, our program must focus on the individual needs and abilities of each child. We do this knowing that early childhood should be a time of fun, warmth, security, exploration and discovery. The Nursery School is committed to working toward achieving the following goals:
- To provide experiences at the child’s level to promote the child’s self worth and to give the child a better understanding of the world around him/her.
- To provide an atmosphere that offers a safe place and encourages social- emotional, physical, and intellectual growth of the child as a whole.
- To promote feelings of trust, confidence and a sense of friendship.
- To encourage a child’s natural curiosity and drive for exploration and discovery.
- To enhance a child’s individuality and sense of humour.
- To develop a child’s independence through the gaining of various intellectual, cognitive, social and physical skills.
- To promote the development of an internal sense of control and respect for self, others and property.
- School Readiness!
18 months – 4 years old
Nanny Goat Hill Nursery School is located within the Dalhousie Community Centre on the first floor above street level.
Transportation is provided for children who live within designated boundaries: our geographical area is defined by the east side of Island Park Drive to the north side of Carling Avenue to the west side of Bronson Avenue to the north side of Catherine Street to the west side of Bay Street to the north side of Gloucester Street to the west side of Lyon Street to the Ottawa River. See map below for more details.
Days and Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday – 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Statutory holidays, Christmas and March breaks, and for one week preceding the August Civic Holiday.
All teachers are experienced, Registered Early Childhood Educators and Headstart Program Workers. Staff are involved in professional development and specialized training regularly, including First Aid and CPR. Many have additional education and experience.
Maximum Number of Children
Staff to Child Ratio
1:5 toddlers and 1:8 preschoolers
Services for Children
- Stories, songs and games to encourage speech and language development
- Art, sensory activities, music and dramatic play to encourage social development and creativity
- Indoor and outdoor play on climbing equipment, tricycles and ride on toys etc. to help children gain confidence, coordination and strength;
- Science and nature activities encourage children to question, wonder and explore the world of nature
- Positive child guidance from Early Childhood Educators allow children to develop self-confidence and self-control
- Social skills are learned with guidance and through experiences with imaginative play
- Hearty and nutritious snack daily
Services for Parents
Parents are encouraged to participate in family events offered through Nanny Goat Hill Nursery School. In addition, families are encouraged to participate in the parenting programs, health, community and social services of Somerset West Community Health Centre, located just one block away.
Nanny Goat Hill Nursery School is managed and operated by:
(613) 238-7595 (fax)